Thursday, May 3, 2012

Perfect... just as we are

Perfect. I've always struggled with the concept of perfect. And let me tell you, it's exhausting, trying to be perfect. The perfect wife. Daughter. Student. Employee. Friend. Pastor's wife. You name it. It's exhausting, and no matter how hard I try, I always fall short.

Whether it's assignments that are flawed, falling behind on coursework because I've got so much on my plate, a burnt dinner, not making time to be with those I love and cherish, or balancing the public and private life that comes with a husband involved in the ministry, life isn't perfect -- in fact, it can be downright messy. There are days when I feel like everything's falling in place, and days where I struggle and feel at the end of my rope. And many, many days in between.

Thankfully, it's not up to me to be perfect, because perfection has already been attained through the life and death of Jesus. And as a baptized Child of God, I have been clothed with Christ's righteousness.

God already sees me as perfect through Jesus.

What a blessing that even on days when I fall short, Christ makes me perfect. And one day I will be completely perfect, in both body and soul, joining with all the Church Triumphant in praise to the One who makes us so.

But when Christ had offered for all time a single sacrifice for sins, he sat down at the right hand of God, waiting form that time until his enemies should be made a footstool for his feet. For by a single offering he has perfected for all time those who are being sanctified.
-- Hebrews 10:12-14


1 comment: