Sunday, May 20, 2012

Hard work pays off

The grades for this past semester have slowly been trickling in. Just got word today that I earned an A in Cataloging and Classification!! I'm super excited about this -- it's one of the classes I was looking forward to taking most in the program, and one I definitely had to work at to keep up and with it. But so worth it in the end!!!

Now I'm just waiting on one more grade for the semester, and I'll be set for my next (and final!) semester.

In the mean time, I've been enjoying some luxurious reading time. What with a recurring bout of tendonitis while writing final papers and plans and portfolios, I decided to take a painful week off of knitting and most things that strain my wrist. Hopefully I can get back to some knitting soon, but in the mean time, I've been thoroughly enjoying reading for fun and not because it's required for class.

I'm currently working my way through Distant Dreams [Ribbons of Steel, no. 1], and it's quite enjoyable. I've always preferred reading historical fiction, and Judith Pella and Tracie Peterson's first novel in their Ribbons of Steel series has not disappointed. I get ridiculously excited about the railroad (locomotives, as they call them in the novel), making me feel a bit like Sheldon and his love for trains. And I've also rediscovered why I have a love-hate relationship with reading... ironic for a librarian, right? I love exploring different times, cultures, and situations through reading, but hate that I get so caught up in the story. It means I want to stay up to finish the book (even if it's 2 am), I can't think of much else but the book when not reading, and often have dreams that reflect what's going on in the plot.... but all these minor annoyances aside, I'm glad to have a chance to get back into reading -- not for class, but for myself.

What have you been reading lately? I'd love to hear your book suggestions!

No comments:

Post a Comment