Thursday, October 25, 2012

The Best Mistake Ever


{Tasty Thursday | Breakfast Casserole}
Recipes, Tips, and Inspiration from my kitchen to yours.


Today's post is short and sweet. I've been crazy busy lately, catching up from last weekend (picture post coming, I promise!) and trying to get a head for this weekend's exciting and exhausting adventures. We've got our annual Chili and Soup Day coming up this weekend, plus a youth hayride/bonfire, and Reformation Day services and choir practices, and food.... I'm so looking forward to it all, but I'm also ready for a break from all the busyness!

Because of how hectic things have been lately, and because I love continually volunteering for things (sometimes that's not so good for my sanity, oh well) and helping people out, I offered to make breakfast for our Chili/Soup Day workday today. Not really thinking, I didn't realize that I've got assignments due this weekend, plus all the normal readings and homework, Bible study, choir rehearsal, cleaning the apartment, recovering from last weekend, and preparing for this coming weekend.

Enter my obsession with Pinterest. Which leads to the Best Mistake I Ever Made (yet). Crock Pot Breakfast Casserole. (Sorry, I completely forgot to take pictures. But it looked like breakfast casserole, trust me.)

I came across this recipe last winter, probably while procrastinating on homework. (Noticing a trend here with the homework? Ha!) Originally, the plan was to make it when M came to visit, but there weren't enough meals in the visit for it to really happen. So this week, I decided it would be a good idea to try it out.

Why I insist on trying out new recipes when I cook for groups of people may just be one of the great mysteries of the world. But it worked. Everyone said it was delicious. Yay! {I did make a few changes, namely sausage instead of bacon, and oregano and paprika instead of dill. I was positive I had dill, but apparently it's currently hiding somewhere in the far recesses of my cabinet. Also, when I got up at 6, it was already starting to burn around the edges, so I turned it down to WARM. 8 hours was plenty for my crockpot.}

So, if it's so good, why is it the best mistake ever? It sounds so simple. You put all the ingredients together before you go to bed, turn it on LOW for 8-10 hours, go to bed, and wake up to a delicious, hot breakfast. Except for one thing.

When you wake up at 2:30 am, smell the casserole cooking, and realize how hungry you are, it's definitely the best mistake ever.

And that's fine with me. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment