Thursday, September 20, 2012

Early Breakfast Indulgences


{Tasty Thursday | Cinnamon Sugar Doughnuts}
Recipes, Tips, and Inspiration from my kitchen to yours.


Every now and then, you just want to indulge in something deliciously sinful for breakfast. I came across these Cinnamon Sugar Doughnuts via Pinterest and decided to save them for a special day. Well, my wonderful husband has started getting up super early (I'm talking like, 5 am early) on his day off to play basketball with some other guys in town, and more often than not, I'll get up and make breakfast those mornings. I know he appreciates it, and I'll be honest.... I enjoy the quiet of the early morning. :)

Anyway, next time I make these (and there will be a next time, no doubt about it), I'll actually make sure I have the homestyle biscuits in the fridge, not just the flaky layers kind. These turned out fine, but there was a definite difference. Oh well, live and learn.

Homemade Cinnamon Sugar Doughnuts! They may not look the prettiest, but they sure tasted delicious!





Here's what I needed:
  • 1 can of Pillsbury Homestyle biscuits (really, any kind of canned biscuits will do, but try to avoid the flaky layer ones)
  • Vegetable oil to fill about 1/2 inch of your pan
  • Cinnamon & Sugar
  • Melted butter (optional- I omitted it, since the cinnamon sugar sticks just fine to the doughnuts right out of the oil)

Here's what I did:
  1. Cut a hole in the middle of each biscuit. (I used a shot glass, since I didn't have a biscuit cutter on hand.)
  2. Heat oil on medium heat, but not too hot.
  3. Place doughnuts in oil, cooking until golden brown. You'll see little bubbles start to form around the edges in the oil, that's good and means they're cooking right.
  4. Flip doughnuts when sufficiently brown on one side. (I also fried mine on the sides just a little bit since I didn't have quite enough oil left in the pan at the end.)
  5. Remove doughnuts from the oil, place on a paper towel-covered plate, and sprinkle cinnamon sugar on both sides.
  6. ENJOY!
Not bad for an early, early breakfast, eh? What are your favorite breakfast indulgences?

No comments:

Post a Comment