Thursday, April 12, 2012

Tasty Thursday... and Some Other Crafty Goodness!

I apparently need to get back on the blogging bandwagon! Only one post a week, and all the same food-related topic. Not that food is bad... it isn't! But I need to get a little variety back in here. For now, I'll blame it on school and the fact that I'm ready for the semester to be OVER.

This week's post-Easter Sunday humdrum has left both D and I feeling somewhat tired and ready for a [real] relaxing weekend. With the Heart Walk this weekend, my history-related festivities next weekend, and a youth lock-in the following weekend, I'm beginning to think we may not see some downtime for quite a while!

As a result, today I bring you a very tasty and simple to prepare dessert... the majority of ingredients you probably already have in your pantry/freezer. If not, it's also pretty inexpensive and the options are endless!

Angel Food Cake with Lime Topping

1 angel food cake, cut into slices (I cheated and bought ours from the store)
1 tub Cool Whip
1 packet sugar-free lime Jello mix (or any flavor you prefer)

Combine softened Cool Whip and lime Jello powder until well blended. Spoon a dollop onto each slice of angel food cake. Add any toppings you'd like, such as chocolate chips, toasted coconut, walnuts, or chocolate sauce.

I think this light and tasty dessert would also be good with pound cake, but who doesn't love some angel food cake every now and again?!

An easy and light dessert for those nights when you need something sweet without the extra sugar.


Blessed Easter! He is risen!
A few weeks ago, I also put this wreath together for our front door. I decided to wait and put it outside until Easter weekend... partially because we got so much rain before then, but also because I liked how it brightened up our living room as well! The original plan was to reuse the grapevine wreath with different seasonal decor, but after cutting two fingers in the process of assembling this one, I think those flowers may stay in there for a while. Despite the creative injuries, I'm really happy with how it turned out! [My mom would be proud... the ribbon on the lower left is leftover from our wedding decor. Yes, we've been married for almost a year and we're still using up the leftovers from the wedding... ribbon, root beer, probably some beer as well.]


And finally, a little knitting update: I'm progressing through a pair of mittens I promised brother-the-younger I'd knit for him. For a first pair of mittens, I'm pleased with how well they're turning out and how fast they seem to be going. Especially for only having time to knit a few rows at a time... silly school getting in the way of all this glorious knitting time. :)

I'm also debating knitting a few items for the LWML auction this summer. Not quite sure what I'd wind up knitting for that, as it would definitely be a balance of time and functionality, but I'm trying to come up with a few good ideas. Maybe some spa sets? Or kitchen sets? Some towels and dishcloths would be a good idea, yes? I also found a cute store in Knob Noster that sells embroidered tea towels... I found one with a sheep on it and just had to have it, of course! I'll keep brainstorming... and browsing Rav. [It's legitimate procrastination, right??] :)

Help spark my creative juices! What type of handmade items would you like to receive or bid on for an auction?

No comments:

Post a Comment