Thursday, March 8, 2012

Tasty Thursday

Supper tonight was a huge success. After finishing proficiency exams, I'm happy to discover that I once again have time to cook. It feels so good to be creative in the kitchen, and this is tonight's result. (Granted, the picture was taken after supper, with about half the dish gone.) D loved it, and it's definitely entering our menu rotation.


Roasted Chicken and Vegetables

Lately, I've been trying to watch my weight and what I eat more closely. I've also been trying to eat fresher, healthier foods, without all the process and preservatives added in. I'm not always successful on that end, but some days are definitely better than others. Today was one of those days.

What I enjoy most about this meal is that it's simple to put together, and you can substitute ingredients based on your own refrigerator contents. Since today happened to be grocery store day, I was sure to stock up on lots of fresh fruits and veggies. Here's what I did (feel free to substitute and experiment with proportions).

Roasted Chicken and Vegetables
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, thawed
4 small potatoes, cut into chunks
2 stalks celery, sliced
1/2 each, red, green, and yellow peppers, sliced
Onion
Green beans
Baby carrots
1 T. melted butter
Olive oil
Salt & Pepper
Paprika
Herbs de Provence

Preheat oven to 375º F.
Cut and slice vegetables to desired amount, arrange in bottom of pan. Drizzle with olive oil, toss, and add salt and pepper to taste. Place chicken breasts on top of vegetable mix, drizzle melted butter over chicken, sprinkle paprika and herbs over chicken and vegetables as desired.
Bake at 375º for 45-50 minutes, until vegetables are tender and chicken is cooked through.

I served ours with a side of garlic bread (tonight's was leftover hamburger buns, toasted, with butter and garlic pepper seasoning).

Yum!!

No comments:

Post a Comment