Sunday, August 14, 2011

Forrays into Domesticity

Ah, housewifery. Before D and I got married, I dreaded the thought of being a stay-at-home-wife, clearly assuming that meant cleaning and cooking all day. I'm delighted to discover I was W-R-O-N-G. Yes, school starts up again in a few short weeks, which I am eagerly anticipating. But for now, I'm kind of enjoying the whole staying at home, relaxing, going on adventure walks, and settling into life in a small(er) town thing.

One of the perks I've enjoyed immensely from our Sedalia experience so far is that of farm fresh fruits and veggies. A member of our new congregation brought over some delicious tomatoes the other day. In an attempt to broaden my culinary horizons, I've also been wanting to make some homemade salsa. PERFECT TIMING.

Getting ready for a grand culinary adventure.
And so today, while my husband was at work, I decided to go for it. It didn't sound that difficult. In fact, I think the most difficult part of the entire experience was trying to find a recipe. Why bother googling something from allrecipes.com (or some other site) when I received a plethora of cookbooks for my bridal shower/our wedding? After consulting all my cookbooks, I found two- count 'em, TWO, recipes. And after realizing my kitchen did not possess all required items for either recipe, I did what any good, seasoned cook (aka my mother) does- I improvised.

The result? Success! Although I was worried that two different kinds of hot sauce would make it too spicy for my liking (although D would most certainly approve), we agreed that its flavor is more tangy than spicy. I can live with that. And of course, because I improvised, there's no guarantee that it will taste the same next time. But that's what makes it grand. That's what defines it as culinary. And that's why it's an adventure.

P.S. My new hand blender? Awesome.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so proud of you! :) To make my life more interesting while being unemployed, I am going to pretend to be a housewife and do stuff such as you are doing. ;) Or not, because that's a little creepy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go for it! It's really kind of fun to play the random-ingredients-into-supper game. Today I cut up a bunch of peppers and blanched them to freeze.... I really need to organize my freezer at some point. But other than that, I haven't had too many culinary/domestic adventures lately. I should get back to that. :P

    ReplyDelete